7.10.2013

Pattern Paper Fun

Working with patterned paper really isn't that complicated. Especially when working with papers from the same collection as the guesswork of matching colors is removed. Don't let it overwhelm you, it shouldn't be intimidating!


With the exception of the small frame of cardstock and jute, this layout is created exclusively from patterned paper.  I chose the Ice Cream truck 3x4 card as the basis for the colors on my layout then thumbed through the patterned papers looking for the same colors.
The bright colors and patterns in the papers create visual interest on the page yet they need to be balanced so as not to take over the focus of the page, the pictures. The papers play a support role. By repeating the star theme, I was able to calm down some of the distraction caused by the multiple patterns on the page.
In looking back over my layouts, I realized that I usually have one multi-colored patterned paper and two or three primarily single color patterned papers with a solid to tie things together.
Support players like chalk (to edge the star pieces and draw the eye to the center of the star and thus the picture), Xacto blade (for fussy cutting) and die cuts help you be selective about the patterns you utilize and how they appear. That teal star is cut from the patterned paper made of waves. If I had not told you that, I doubt you would have known that!

I hope I have inspired you to play with your patterned papers and see them in a different light! I challenge you to give it a try!

Supplies: Sunkissed Collection by GCD - Patterned Paper: Sunshine, Sassy Swimmers, Pretty Swimsuit, Swim Lessons, Tickled with Sunshine, Lazy Days, Oh Lucky Me. Other - Jute: Lawn Fawn; Ink: Quick Quotes; Cardstock: Core'dinations

2 comments: